Tracking

Wednesday 18 October 2017

Your Library Story: the winning entry

Congratulations to Graham Dawson for winning the Your Library Story competition with the below entry!

Library and Knowledge Service: From A to ZZZzzzzzzz

"An impromptu but confidential meeting in my shared office led me on the path to the Library and Knowledge Service Helpdesk. I was greeted with warmth and friendliness. The time is now to sort my niggle I thought. Unbeknown to them, over the next few minutes the Library and Knowledge Service staff would set in motion, the best year of sleep I’d had since I was a child.

My niggle you see, was the fact that I fell out of love with reading. The mobile phone had defeated the book mark. From a book a week before my teens, to whatever was necessary at University. Despite ‘resolutions’ here, impromptu book purchases there, nothing had reignited my love of reading.

“I’m after a book that isn’t too heavy, but will get me excited about reading again”, I was quickly directed to the aptly named ‘sit back and relax’ easy reading section. Despite having knowledge of the well know phrase, I started my pursuit of a good looking book cover. Less than a minute later, I was asked if I needed further help. Their help led me to completing a trilogy of crime fiction but most importantly led me to a year of good sleep. I had been reading from my mobile but the blue light that shone in my eyes into the early hours was making me immobile. I will admit I was addicted to my phone. Now with a book before bed, I will be asleep before my pillow touches my head.

I am a slow reader I will admit, so I found myself extending my loan on several occasions; this was never a problem or a chore to the team. So thank you to you, the Library and Knowledge Service team. Goodnight."